An educational institution which is
practically synonymous to and a
proud partner of Bacolod City, West
Negros University was founded on
Valentine's day in 1948 by three
Baptist women leaders, Luciana
Aritao, Teresa Padilla, and Rosario
Remetio, when the city was still
fresh from the devastation of the
Second World War.
The school, the West Negros College,
first operated as a sectarian
educational institution in an old
rented Valentine Memorial Hall at
corner Rosario and San Juan Streets,
offering six undergraduate programs
that attracted 710 students handled
by 33 faculty members.
The first few years of its existence
proved that expansion was
inevitable, and in 1951 the school
was re-established as a
non-sectarian school on its present
location along Burgos Street,
utilizing a three-storey wooden
building that housed different
classrooms and administrative
offices. A separate building was
also built for elementary and high
It has since gone through years of
providing education responsive to
the needs of the community as seen
in the continued increase in
enrolment. Taking the challenge,
then President Leodegario N. Agustin
initiated the construction of a P2.2
million concrete five-storey
building. The building accommodated
all academic departments and
laboratories, clinic, library, and
To enrich the college life of
students, a gymnasium was
constructed in 1968 for the school's
extra-curricular and sports
activities. It also hosted
convocations, cultural presentations
and graduation activities, and
extended its services to the
community by accommodating, among
others, basketball games, boxing
tournaments, social gatherings, and
The following year, the school's
enrolment rose to 6,843 students,
with a pool of 200 faculty members.
The increase had inspired the
administration for further
expansion; hence in 1972 the
construction of a concrete
three-storey building for the high
school and elementary department was
In 1980, responding to the changing
times with the advent of computers,
the college put up its own Computer
Center and expanded its curricular
offerings by opening computer
courses and short-term or technical
programs. It was then considered
among the biggest and was recognized
among the pioneers of computer
schools in Western Visayas.
Since then, the college has
experienced spurts of growth in
terms of infrastructures, students
population, human resources,
community services, and as an
educational institution as a whole.
Twelve Presidents have provided
leadership to West Negros College
since its founding, whose
contribution became part and parcel
of what the school has become: Atty.
Serafin V. Aguilar (1949 - 1952),
Atty. Vicente T. Remetio (1952-1953), Mr. Segismundo E. Gelvosa (1954-1962), Mr. Leodegario N. Agustin (1963-1964), Mr. Leo A. Agustin (1965-1969 and 1990-1991), Dr. Alfredo P. Catedral (1969-1971), Mrs. Delia A. Espino (1971-1975 and 1986-1989), Atty. Alex D. Espino (1975-1979 and 1985-1986), Mr. Roem G. Agustin (1979-1984), Dr. Suzette Lilian A. Agustin
(1991-2010) and Dr. Oscar S. Suarez
The ultimate challenge came in 1999 when the attempt of becoming a university was initiated by Dr. Suzette Lilian A. Agustin, subjecting the school to evaluation for University status by the Commission on Higher Education (CHEd), through the CHEd Technical Team, which conducted the evaluation in March 1999. The team then recommended that WNC should first comply with specific requirements in different areas imposed to schools vying for university status. These areas included (1) General Student Admission Policy, (2) Degree Programs, (3) Accreditation Status, (4) Instruction, (5) Research Program, (6) Extension Services, (7) Faculty Personnel, (8) Library and Laboratory Facilities/equipment, and (9) Site and Buildings.
From thereon, the school had focused its attention in complying with the requirements, including the task of undergoing accreditation processes by an external organization, the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA). In 2006, WNC’s University quest was boosted up with the creation of a University Team led by the WNC President, to take care of specific areas provided for in CHED Memorandum Order (CMO) No. 48, Series of 1996.
At the onset of school year 2007-2008, WNC was assessed to have complied with most of the requirements or standards for University status. After a thorough evaluation of WNC readiness, an application for University status was submitted on October 1, 2007 at the CHED central Office in Manila, and in response, CHED Central Office sent a Special Team on November 22-23, 2007 to evaluate and verify compliance of WNC to the university standards. The Chairman of the Special Team then recommended for the ocular visit of the honorable members of the Commission.
The school’s readiness for a final CHED visit to inspect and evaluate WNC’s level of compliance was conveyed on January 25, 2008 to the Commission en banc and the Office of Programs and Standards of the Commission on Higher Education, which resulted to the conduct of the detailed and rigorous process of verification by the CHED Commissioners on February 5, 2008.
On February 11, 2008, during a meeting of the Commissioners en Banc, the Commission on Higher Education has found West Negros College to be in full compliance of CHED requirements, and granted West Negros College the UNIVERSITY STATUS, per Resolution No. 78, s. 2008.
The WNC Board of Trustees then unanimously approved the change of the school’s name from West Negros College to WEST NEGROS UNIVERSITY, per Board Resolution No. 007-02-26-08 dated February 26, 2008. On June 10, 2008, West Negros University received the official confirmation through a Certificate of University Status from CHED, by virtue of Resolution No. 290, s. 2008, dated June 2, 2008.
With an average of 1,500 graduates per school year the last decade, West Negros University has already produced successful graduates and countless professionals in various fields of public and private services, here and abroad. It may have attained the coveted status of a university, but the mission of its founders in educating the youth anchored on Christian values will live on.
Ever conscious of its motto of “Truth and Virtue,” West Negros University will never cease to serve. It has come a long way, and by the grace of the Divine Providence, will continue to do so.